Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Voice of a Generation

On the 18th anniversary of it's original release Pearl Jam has reissued one of the greatest alternative (which is really just rock~n~roll) albums of all time... Ten. I feel it's only fitting to pay tribute to this landmark album that helped define my generation. After all these years Pearl Jam still remain relevant and continue to shape rock music.

For me, this is the song that started it all, and to this day I still remember the first time I saw the video on MTV (yes, MTV once played actual videos)...


No Pearl Jam post would be complete without a quote from singer Eddie Vedder. When asked "Well, what's it like to be a rock star?" Eddie had this to say...

"You know, rock stardom ... I have a hard time discussing that because I don't really accept it. It's not really that tangible. What's really bizarre is how it's used as a thing-you know, "He's the rock star of politics," "He's the rock star of quarterbacks"-like it's the greatest thing in the world. And it's not bad, but it's just different. I don't understand it. Cause I'm going, "Well-am I that?" I want to be the plumber of rock stars."

No comments: